Tuesday, April 24, 2007

More on the Easter Communion

I received this email recently, and the sender gave me permission to share it here.

I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed the Easter Communion. I thought it was a lovely way to celebrate community and to embrace traditions other than our own (a truly Unitarian concept). I was shocked that anyone had such a "problem" with it.

The truth is, every religion has beautiful elements and as Unitarians, we should have no problem honoring those elements and stepping outside of our notions of what is and isn't Unitarian. I hope that the Unitarian communion will return next year and that perhaps, with a little pre-emptive encouragement and mind-opening sermon, people will see how a long standing christian tradition can take on new meanings for each individual in the congregation.

I was raised Unitarian (at Eliot Chapel no less), and the only thing I've ever wanted more of in my church is more ritual and ceremony because, like paintings or music, I think they can become unique spiritual experiences for each person who opens their heart to it. Isn't that a large part of what Unitarianism is?

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I loved the Easter service and think that the communion was a wonderful symol of coming together and sharing. Thank you.
Laura L. Hepburn

No comments: